Been itching your eyes?
Been blowing your nose?
Been fighting a cough deep in your chest?
You may have a cold or the flu – but, then again – you just may be having an allergic reaction to a recent exposure to mold.
If you’ve been cleaning in your damp basement, or perhaps under the kitchen sink cabinets where moisture may collect, there is every chance you’ve come in contact with mold and mold spores. Cleaning with a face mask can go a long way to keeping the amount of mold dust that you inhale to a minimum. Making sure grungy clothes used while cleaning find their way to a washing machine in a timely manner keeps the transporting of mold dust and spores at bay.
Mold exposure may produce minimal or extreme physical reactions in individuals. Much depends upon the amount of exposure as well as the type of mold. Symptoms arise immediately – but in some cases there could be a delay. Infections caused by mold exposure can mimic cold or flu symptoms and manifest at many levels. Because there is such a myriad of mold species, symptom reactions vary widely with different people.
Mild Symptom Reactions – short term exposure:
- Itchy/Watery eyes
- Itching skin and redness
Moderate Symptom Reactions – long term exposure:
- Constant Fatigue
- Constant Headaches
- Nausea & Vomiting
- Loss of Appetite/Weight Loss
- Nose Bleeds
- Difficulty Breathing
- Asthma Attacks
- Coughing up Blood/Black Debris
- Chronic Bronchitis & Sinus Infections
- Chronic Ear Infections with Pain
- Swollen Glands – Neck & Armpit
- Joint & Muscle Pain
- Hair Loss
- Skin Sores & Rashes
- Short Term Memory Loss
- Neurological/Nervous Disorders
- Sexual Dysfunction
Extreme Symptom Reactions – Very High Exposure Levels
- Long Term Memory Loss<
- Bleeding Lungs
Health and wellness is on everyone’s mind these days. Keeping your home mold free is an important part of maintaining a healthy home environment. Click here for Part 3 of this discussion, where we’ll explore various ways to prevent and/or control mold in the home and workplace for optimal wellness.